This Month in DC History
Who was extremely smart but cheated in his school’s puzzle contest, introduced in 1948, and can’t help himself when it comes to proving he’s smarter than the world greatest detective? Why it’s my favorite villain, The Riddler. And what kind of crime would involve a Banana and a Russian? Well someone Russian is gonna slip on a banana peel and break their neck! The only possible answer.
What else was going on in 1948?
- Superman’s origin was retold (and altered a little). John and Mary were the Kents who sent the baby Kryptonian to an orphanage and then picked him up the next day to adopt him and both were dead by the time Clark when to Metropolis. Once an orphan… I guess.
- Mr. District Attorney, from the hit 1939 radio show, got his own comic. Too bad they wouldn’t give him his own name.
- Green Lantern jumped the shark when Streak the Wonder Dog appeared. Streak tried to deposit a bone into the bank and Green Lantern was cancelled in 1949 for having skeletons in his vault.
Batman Villains - by Eduardo Cortes Trujillo
Made by Eagle Moss Ltd. and officially DC Comic approved.
The DC Chess Collection is a new fortnightly series offering the comic fan and chess lover alike the chance to collect fantastic and unique chess pieces, vivid representations of some of DC’s greatest characters. Each chess piece is accompanied by a fascinating magazine featuring superb DC artwork plus vital chess tips.
Available in the U.S. at your local comic book shops through Diamond Distributors through special order. Two pieces a month are offered in Previews magazine!
Pieces as of July 2012:
1. Batman - White King
2. Joker - Black King
3. Robin - White Bishop
4. Penguin - Black Knight
5. Catwoman - White Queen
6. Two-Face - Black Knight
7. Batgirl - White Knight
8. Riddler - Black Bishop
9. Poison Ivy - Black Pawn
10. Commissioner Gordon - White Pawn
11. Ra’s As Ghul - Black Bishop
12. Katana - White Pawn
13. Scarecrow - Black Pawn
14. Nightwing - White Bishop
15. Mr. Freeze - Black Pawn
16. Black Canary - White Pawn
17. Harley Quinn - Black Queen
18. Bane - Black Pawn
I’m currently a little obsessed with these. I have 1-8 and 13-18 ordered. Currently looking for 9-12. I will not stop until I have the full set. They are so awesome!
Talking Lego Batman is now my favorite Batman
Bats shows some concern about his means of travel is this preview for the new Batman Lego Game.
This looks so awesome! I wish this was a show as well. BTW, notice that once again Superman is a total prick?
Italian artist Denis Medri’s designs for a rockabilly take on the Dark Knight with some inspired 1950s Americana reinterpretations of Gotham’s heroes and villains. His version of Two-Face — who is a “mix of Richie Cunningham and a Evil Fonz” — might just be the most affably ridiculous thing we’ve seen all day. Here are some other character-specific design notes from Medri:
- The Penguin is “a sort of entrepeneur fish industry import/export with criminal attitude.”
- Poison Ivy is channeling Seymour from Little Shop of Horrors.
- Joker is rocking the Teddy Boy style.
- Catwoman is modeled on Bettie Page.
AMAZING! I love it! I would love to see a series on this!
I really like this piece of art work. It’s a reminder that even hard working villains who are trying to cause chaos, mayhem and rule the world still take time to break bread together like a family!
I imagine them telling funny anecdotes about how they almost killed Batman…or made him look silly.
Good times….good times!
I think they’re having a tickle party…or better yet…this is just a stirring game of
Bat on the brain? OPERATION!